Thursday, November 7, 2013

Beach Life

Living on a ship has many benefits, one of my favorite being, I am close to the beach.  I love the ever constant movement of the ocean, no matter where you are in the entire world, it is the same. The breeze is the same and the smell is the same. It brings to mind all the times I have been at the beach, which have all been fond memories. I am a mountain girl at heart, though. To grow up at the base of the Rockies was an amazing way to be raised, my parents choose well. Many of our family outings would be to the mountains, visiting the Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, and Lyons. Living the last three years in the Appalachian mountains an hour away from the Smoky Mountain National Park, just reinforced my mountain love. The nostalgia for the mountains runs deep in my soul. I think that this is what makes the beach so special to me, it is a rare treat, so different from my home.

Laura from Australia (left), Antje from South Africa (middle), Heather from Canada (right)  








One of our day crew invited Karyn out for a day of exploring, she enthusiastically invited us to join in on her fun. The day crew are local Pointe  Noire people and know the town well. We were able to experience the town in a way we would not have been able to otherwise. The date, er, I mean outing, was supposed to be to the Grand Marche, but the boys had a different plan and took us to what I like to call "Ship Wreck Beach." Photos from the day courtesy of Becky.













We have already had to say many good byes. Mine is coming up far too quickly. As a farewell party to Laura Collins, from Melbourne Australia, a few friends made a beach bonfire on the night of the full moon.  It was one of my favorite nights so far.









"Two Laura's one time!"
One of my favorite quotes of the ship from one of our Gurkha's



When you have cool friends from South Africa, sometimes they pull out of flaming balls of fire from their bag of cool tricks. Then they swing them around their heads and mesmerize everyone. They are super "kiff," (their word) aka totally cool and amazing.





Last four photos are thanks to Becky.

No comments:

Post a Comment