Tuesday, September 24, 2013

D Ward

Here on the AFM, there are five different wards filled with patients. I work in D ward, where all the "Max Fax" patients go.  Things involving the head turn up in this ward. In Tennessee, we called these types of patients "OMFS." There, those were are favorite patients because all the OMFS residents were always very polite and nice on the eyes. Here on the AFM, they are my favorite patients to care for, because the transformations that happen post operatively are so dramatic.  When a massive tumor is removed from a patients face, one that has most likely been growing for years, the transformation is incredible. The face is such an important part of human life, we all value faces, it is what we innately look for in each other. When this part of a person is disfigured, they become unseen and ignored.  My favorite part of my job is during dressing changes, the patient will hold up a mirror and see them see themselves, tumor removed, they look in awe at the reflection. It is beautiful. It makes my soul dance!

It took me a bit to get used to the flow of the work here. I have only had one job until now. So everything I know, is what I was taught at this one (actually two) facilitates. I had to learn where things are, how to chart, the flow of the orders, and the time management of the patient load. To be honest, I was not loving it at first. I felt scattered, and inefficient. I think many nurses can agree, that it is really frustrating to feel like a new grad again. Many of us are control freaks and a little OCD with our work. When that gets thrown off, it is not fun! This is exactly how I felt as I was trying to get used to this new way to nurse. Thankfully, the thing about nursing that is universal, no matter where you are, is the way nurses care for their patients. I stood firm on this and struggled to get my groove. By the second week on the ward, I had my rhythm and fell in love with D ward.  The pictures below are from the weekend D ward and I hit it off. It was about a week ago.



















All pictures here were taken by the Mercy Ships communication team :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you. This experience has already caused you to see through different eyes. When I volunteered with the Flying Samaritans i got to meet people, real honest people, who because they happened to be born in the southern part of America (Mexico) had little or nothing. I was a single mother then and I met other single mothers. My heart changed forever. My appreciation for my home, health, and education increased. This is a beautiful thing that you do. You are doing the will of the lord!

    Ecclesiastes 3:11

    11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete